Following a recent mandate by the condominium association to reduce neighbor noise, the Soundproofing Company was approached to design flooring solutions for remodels throughout an Atlanta highrise building.
Residents had complained of high levels of sound and impact noise being transmitted from the floors above. They needed a strategy for upgrading the sound isolation characteristics of the existing 6” concrete sub-floor.
The solution in this case was to make use of a semi-decoupled floor using OSB/Plywood layered with Serena Underlay and Green Glue dampening compound. This type of build has resulted in a significant reduction in both impact noise and overall sound transmission.
- PROJECT: 6” concrete floor upgrade
- OBJECTIVE: Reduce impact noise transfer in floor remodel
- STRATEGY: Add a semi-decoupled floor using Green Glue dampening compound, OSB/Plywood and 3/8″ Serena Underlay.
- Results:+ Increase of 28 IIC+ Increase of 36 STC
- Client:Atlanta Condo Association
Many of our residents have chosen to replace their carpet and padding with hardwood floors. Sound isolation and impact noise are real concerns. SPC’s build solutions and products have delivered the performance we need. Their guidelines for floor installation will increase the quality of life for our residents for many years to come.