Great condos, thin walls
The original Boardwalk Condominiums building was a furniture manufacturing plant built in 1892 and located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI. In 2000, the building received a complete urban makeover and converted into condominiums.
Unfortunately, the walls built between units didn't dampen neighbor noises much at all. Casual voices were easily audible as well as television and light music. An attempt was made to correct the poor sound isolation performance of the original wall, to no avail.
Seven years after its first resident moved in, the building received extensive remodeling. This time, the developers included adequate soundproofing of the original walls in the planning. To that end, new walls were built over the originals, causing great disruption for residents and adding time and money to the overall project. And... it didn't work. After two major attempts to address the issue, the developers finally called the Soundproofing Company's Ted White.
Soundproofing Company saves the day - for less $$ than expected
Ted suggested adding a layer of Green Glue and an additional sheet of drywall to each interior wall. Though simple, the solution deadened ambient sound beyond all expectations, eliminating noise issues for Broadway Condominiums residents.
Read more about all of our wall soundproofing solutions.
Soundproofing Company's solution - illustrated
Original Condo Walls
- 2x4 stud wall
- One layer of 5/8” drywall on each side of wall.
- Insulated wall cavities
RESULT: Poor sound isolation
First Acoustical Upgrade
- A new 2x4 stud wall was built in front of the existing condo wall.
- No insulation in new wall.
- 1⁄2” drywall on finished side of new wall.
RESULT: The noise was still “a serious problem.”
Final Upgrade With Green Glue
- Add one sheet of 5/8” drywall with 2 tubes of Green Glue.
- Sealed perimeter of walls and caulk around outlets.
RESULT: “Amazing.... we have not had a single complaint since we treated the walls.”
The results speak for themselves. This is real client feedback from this job.
- “The results are amazing. Since installing the Green Glue, we have not received a single noise complaint. We are very pleased with the results.”
- “We placed a very loud air compressor in a bedroom as a test. This was much louder than a typical condo owner would play music. In the room next door we heard nothing. It was unreal.”
- “Our installers found the Green Glue tubes to be extremely fast and easy to work with.”
- “We tried other methods of soundproofing such as soundboard or resilient channel, and found GreenGlue to be the least expensive and clearly the best performance.”